Check the List! Which of These Pests Harm Your Trees?
Book Convenient, Effective Pest Control in San Diego
From beetles to aphids, scale insects, thrips, caterpillars, and more, there are many bugs that could potentially threaten the health of your San Diego trees. This article provides an overview of some of the most common insects and bugs in the area. Teaming up with local arborists can help you prevent infestations and eradicate pests that threaten your hardwoods, conifers, and other trees. Partner with Coastal Tree Care for assistance with pest control in San Diego, Coronado, Del Mar, Rancho Santa Fe, and Pacific Beach.
Common California Tree Pests and the Damage They Do
Wood-boring beetles and insects, tree-boring, leaf-eating or nutrient-sucking caterpillars, aphids, scales, and thrips top the list for pests that can potentially harm your trees. Learn more about the damage inflicted and the reasons why timely and effective pest control is so important.
Here is a brief look at common tree pests in the San Diego area:
- Wood-boring beetles and insects. Long-horned borers, flat-headed borers, and bark beetles bore holes in trunks and branches. Then, they lay eggs inside or on top of the wood. The larvae make tunnel patterns as they feed on the wood. Unfortunately, the sap-filled holes weaken the tree. If you have sick, damaged, or neglected trees on your property, they are typically more prone to pests that bore inside the wood. So, to prevent and control infestation by wood boring beetles and insects, work with our team to properly maintain your trees:
- Use safe insecticides to prevent infestations
- Properly maintain trees to keep them healthy
- Tree-boring and leaf-eating caterpillars. Caterpillars hatch from eggs laid within the tree crown, on branches, trunk, or just under the bark. They can cause numerous issues for your healthy tree. For example, you may notice new shoots or leaves eaten, holes in the trunk, defoliation, and weakened branches. Our team can determine the type of caterpillars on your property and whether they are harmful. We provide comprehensive pest control services, including treating the tree or removing it if necessary to save other trees on your property from an infestation.
- Aphids, scale insects, and thrips. These tiny insects consume plant sap and have soft bodies. They create damage that includes leaf-bleaching, leaf stippling, curling and distortion, and sooty mold. To preserve the beauty and health of your tree, it’s important to act quickly if you notice any of these signs.
Best Way to Control Pests and Prevent Infestation
As well as knowing how to spot the signs of infestation and understanding the type of damage suffered by trees, it’s also important to put a pest control strategy into place. The arborists at Coastal Tree Care can inspect your trees, recommend a treatment plan, and provide pruning or removal services as needed.
Contact Coastal Tree Care online to schedule a consultation and learn more about whether these pests harm your trees. Our service areas include San Diego, Coronado, Del Mar, Rancho Santa Fe, and Pacific Beach.